HERITAGE AND BIODIVERSITY
Brief background of both cemetries
Vicarage Road Cemetery was developed in 1856 and its first burial took place on 6 November 1858. The first burial was that of a child Mary Ann Howarth aged 3 months. Within the cemetery grounds was a Cemetery Lodge facing onto Vicarage Road and there were also two chapels, only one of which is still there today and a receiving house.
North Watford Cemetery was opened in 1931 after Vicarage Road cemetery reached burial capacity and could not be extended further. The cemetery, with its attractive grounds laid out to lawn areas with flower beds and shrubs comprises 35 acres of land surrounded by established woodlands was previously part of Stanborough Park.